View Single Post
Old 04-25-18, 07:48 PM
hoovbikes

Bikes: 2017 GT Grade Carbon Sram Force, 2014 Globe Roll 8 (w riser bars), 2015 All City Space Horse (cantilever)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everybody, I realize this is an old thread but it seems like it gets checked in on/added to every now and then when people are finding themselves in a similar position, so I figured for the sake of community in dealing with a god awful problem to have, I would share my current circumstances. Don't know if anyone will read it, but anyway:

I started having some very noticeable pain a few weeks ago after one particularly hard ride. About a month prior I'd just purchased a fantastic new gravel bike which I have been riding hard and often for the first few weeks, as I was thrilled with my awesome new bike. But almost suddenly after a particularly hard ride I've had pain in the testes to the point where I currently dread sitting down on my saddle. I had a professional fit done to be sure positioning wasn't the problem and my fitter hypothesized that it was probably a case of doing "too much too fast". I've been riding bikes for a number of years now but this bike is by FAR the most aggressive positioning I've ever ridden in terms of reach and downward upper body angle. I feel that this put more pressure on my male parts rather than sitting back and more upright on my sitbones as I have in the past.

There is some background for me as well- As an infant I had an undescended testicle, which from what I understand is not super uncommon and in most cases (like mine) resolved relatively easily. Also, around 2011 I suffered a kick to the area which definitely put a damper on my life for a while. I saw a doctor then after not seeing a full recovery from the injury on it's own and I believed they checked for torsion then and determined that wasn't the case (I don't think I was in quite that level of acute pain, more just a steady unceasing tenderness that made me very apprehensive to do any athletic activity). Bc of this I had to give up running and after finding a more supportive boxer brief brand ironically switched to biking, albeit with a more upright style of bike. Biking seemed to be the happy medium for a number of years now and my go to method of exercise when I want to sweat, until this incident a few weeks ago. Now I feel like I'm back in square one.

I know it's hard to recommend for other people but if anyone has any saddle recommendations I am all ears. ISM seems good for this market but that's all that's really stood out to me so far other than looking for a shorter nose, wider rear section, and cut outs. Switching back to flat bar and keeping my body more upright I guess seems like a sensible thing to do as well although I'm a little bummed at the prospect of doing that bc I was really starting to entertain the possibility of working towards some competitions or maybe a triathalon.

Anyway, any bike OR medical recommendations are definitely welcome if anyone ends up reading this. Also to the OP or anyone else who has posted here, did you guys find any resolution in your problems? I certainly hope so. Biking is such a great freeing relief. Having it taken way would be truly depressing.

Sorry for the long post, best to all you guys.