Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I would assume all of it is hard if doing it right!

I guess the 3k is why perhaps pursuit interval time for a workout is often 4min?

Wish I could try pursuit. Seems up my alley.

I sometimes pretend to do 4km outdoors for funsies to mix up riding the TT bike. I cheat and use a false flat downhill so the speed is on up there. Haha!
Pursuit is a very interesting discipline. It requires a standing start in a gear that you will use for the entire race, CdA is very important metric and the event uses all three human energy systems, ATP - PC, glycolytic and aerobic. It is approximately 55% aerobic and 45% anaerobic with a standing start. One tooth difference in the chainring makes a difference.

I do not think road intervals such as 3' 4' or 5' on a road bike comes close to doing a pursuit. One gets an insane amount of rest on a road bike in a short TT or interval on the road versus a fixed gear on the 250 meter track. For an elite to be competitive in the 4k pursuit, one needs 4:30 to 5 minute power at 120 rpm. There are no micro rests at all on the track. The cadence can be lowered by choosing a bigger gear but then the start is harder and a bigger gear can load up the legs for the last 500 meters. If there is a golf equivalent, it would be having a perfect swing and the ability to make 65 diverse shots in a row without an error. In a 20km TT, you get Mulligans.

The first time I did pursuit, I was not sure that I ever wanted to do another one as I coughed for 24 hours. Pursuit kills ones lungs because one is gasping for air during the end of the race as the O2 is being drained from your blood at the high cadence and your legs are on fire. Many track racers suck on inhalers due to the impact on the lungs.

Over time, racers get good at handling the sensations and optimizing lap times, the start, gearing and training protocol and riding the perfect lap. It is much more complicated than being good at a 4 to 5 minute interval on the road. However, having a great road interval on a TT bike is a tremendous asset in pursuit.

I think you would be superb at pursuit.
Likes For Hermes: