View Single Post
Old 07-08-20, 08:03 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrecks24
So I started road biking about three months ago and I know that I suck, but I have been riding these local shop rides. I cannot keep up with the main group for the life of me, the ride is 25ish miles, mixture of "elite" type riders, women and older dudes. I even struggle to maintain speed with ALL of them. I am 43 and retired from the Army so its a little bit of ego. My bike is a Carbon bike with Ultegra gear set, so I know its me and not the bike. Now, I don't have the option of riding everyday to build up as I have a job and I also have two kids that are involved in sports and other activities that take up much of my free time. I just want to be able to hang with at least the majority of the riders. Any advice for a new guy?
Get a training plan. You will not get fast just riding around or trying to keep up with a faster group. That won't be difficult enough to stress your fast-twitch fibers to force training adaptations, but will be hard enough to recruit them taking load off your slow-twitch fibers so those don't adapt either.

Do a better job with your schedule. 7-8 hours of sleep and 9 working leave 7-8 for other things.

Park a trainer in your living room and spend an hour a day on it following your plan when not riding outdoors. Six hours a week is a minimum to be in decent shape and you need ten to get close to your genetic potential.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-08-20 at 08:37 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt: