View Single Post
Old 07-30-12, 12:41 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After the state senior games my wife and I went to our family cabin in PA to meet up with my brothers to stain the log home. I spent most is Saturday on ladders dusting then staining the log siding and overhangs.

On Sunday AM I rode Aliquippa PA to do a Masters 40+, 50+ race. My team had 5 riders, all 50+, in the 35+ rider field. We decided that we would try to get a particular rider in a break then work to control the field. The race progressed with one attack after another and the breaks our guy were in fizzled or were chased down. One guy from my area lapped tthehe 45+ field at the Steel City Showdown in May and the local guys marked him while he jumped on any attack. The ourse is in an industrial park with 1.6 mile laps that includes a 1/2 mile straight for the finish that is 60' wide.
The race came down to a sprint finish with most of the field intact. I put myself in a good spot going into the last turn that took more energy than was needed as I was trying to get to our guy that we wanted to get away. I got up to Jim's wheel but didn't get around. As soon as we cleared the turn all hell broke loose as there were groups of riders all over sprinting. That is when I saw my state game partner, Joe, flying by on someome's wheel. The gap behind him closed and I went out and around to find it wide open but with virgin air and riders well ahead. I didn't start sprinting until 400m to go and began to run out of gas with 100m to go and sat and rode it out getting passed by two guys at the line in addition to those already ahead. Our team did well as Joe and Jim were 1st and 3rd overall and in the 50+ race and I was 10th overall and 6th in the 50+ race. The two guys who passed me at the line were also in my group.

Not to make excuses but during my sprint the upper body gave out before the legs. I think it was due to painting all day on Sat, but the cabin looks nice anyway.