View Single Post
Old 08-11-12, 08:40 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wed: Encino A/B/C Keirin tournament.

Started with a 60-lap open scratch race. 24 started, and only 5 or 6 finished. Some big dogs strung it out early. I tried going with them when they first went, lapped the main pack, but it fried me pretty good. Eventually had to recover and let field come back around. By this time, people dropping like flies. I think there were 8 left when my legs gave out. Good, uh, warm-up for the tournament!

Didn't quite know what to expect since I had never done a keirin, and I'm far from a sprinter. But they are an absolute kick. 5.5 laps of tempo, followed by pants-on-fire flailing attack. Did the B's and won my first heat by coming around lead guy while coming out of final corner, which if nothing else made me feel like a sprinter for the first time. Lost second heat by trying to be a bit cute and conserve for the finals, caught sleeping, and finished about a wheel out of 3rd (top 3 went to finals).
Photo from A's (rising stars Tim McGee, Collin Berry, James Hilyer):

Fri: VSC A/B/C Omnium.

Did the B's again, which had the biggest field (16) with a diverse mix. 1) Unknown distance scratch race. I did a bit of a guesswork on this and went to the front on lap 14-15, drifted back, and then of course the bell rings. Top 10 but out of the points. 2) Miss-n-out. Survived the first couple laps by narrow margin, and it was getting kind of squirrely, so I said screw that and went off the front for several laps. It cooked me a bit, but at least got me in the points. With four of us left, I didn't have any sprints left in me. 3) Points race (20/5). The only one of the four spritns that I contested I was set up well for 1st or 2nd when someone came down aggressively into the poll lane squeezing me onto the blue band. The official saw it, and I was glad that he called him out on it, but damage done (I'd like to think he would have been relegated in a more formal event).
Both photos courtesy Pat Benson:

Biggest lesson learned for the week: buy some chainrings! I was stuck with choice of 88 or 94 for all events. 94 was good for the long/fast scratch race, but every other event I would have preferred 90 or 92. 47t and 48t on order.