View Single Post
Old 05-13-16, 08:16 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I have previously posted to this Road Cycling thread, Do You Work / Maintain Your Own Bikes?"

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...My first adult bike was a Schwinn Suburban, and as a college student I did a lot of work on it, including cleaning bearings. Time eventually became too much of a premium, so now my LBS does it all...

Having the LBS do it all, in my case is a really good deal. The shop is one block away, and they will fix many things at a convenient time for me. They are so expert that they can do these things quickly, better than me, and often spot problems that I did not see. Whenever I leave the shop, the bikes ride as if new again.

Because the bikes are a major transportation mode for me, keeping them in good repair is critical. We save a lot of money on transportation, so further using the LBS is even more cost-effective. I tip well, not, "To Insure Prompt Service, " but because I am so appreciative of their work. Hats off to Back Bay Bikes.
I have never encountered a bad mechanic there in the 20+ years I have used them.