Old 06-25-18, 10:34 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Bookie512
I was discharged from USAF Special Operation in 1974. I have deteriorated since. Back in three pieces, knees gone, hips arthridic, elbow's with bone spurs and I gained weight, to 190. I had to do something. I could not even walk, my knees. hurt so bad. We retired into a lake community with a five and a half mile road around the lake. I bought my wife a cruiser and she wanted me to ride with her. I have it a try just to please her. I was amazed. I could ride that bike with no ill effects at all, as long as I was sitting straight up, I could go all day. I taught myself bike mechanics, bought the tools and built myself an aluminum cruiser. I am 67 years old and I weigh 165. I rode 50 miles a week around my lake and another 100 or so on our rails to trails. I repair bikes for folks now and try to get the older folks out on bikes. You don't have to go fast, you just have to go.
Sir, I thank you for your service. It's good to hear you have made bicycling a positive part of your life and of those around you. Again, thank you - I'm indebted to your service.