View Single Post
Old 07-13-18, 05:05 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by canerods
Wow! fantastic commentary from everyone. I've only been back to cycling for about 2 weeks. My longest rides have been 6 miles roundtrips with a combination of 80% bikeway - 20% city streets (baby steps!). I notice many younger fellows dressed in racing gear on the bikeway, heads down, riding exotic road bikes at a fast pace... for the most part, they don't seem to be very friendly as they seldom look up from the bike path or acknowledge me except to say "passing" when overtaking. I feel a little out of place my wife's 1980 vintage Raliegh (my Fuji Absolute 1.9 flat bar is in transit to the local Premiere bike store). So far, I'm not experiencing any physical discomfort and seem to be recovering fairly quickly the more I get out. I'll take all of your suggestions and comments seriously and really appreciate the time you spent answering. On the weight loss, it was a team effort... If my wife of 50 years hadn't been watchful and supportive I would have never done it. Thanks again!
Joe
The species name for these creatures you've noticed, I believe, is "MAMILs" Middle Aged Men In Lycra. I think they are maintaining that fast pace by putting out so much effort they have no breath left for talking. I've gotten nods and/or finger-waves from these folk, as I wave and say some variation of "Hi!" from my built-like-a-tank steel hybrid bike. I think they put all their mental effort into maintaining their form and keeping their bodies at the bleeding edge of their aerobic threshold.

Oh, and I've also found that bike riding can reign in the lower back problems that I was starting to have before I restarted riding, a few years ago. I do need to start doing some upper and core muscle building though. I'm starting to develop legs like a gnarly oak tree, while my arms are more like twigs, and my torso a skeletal anatomy display.

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 07-13-18 at 05:11 PM.