View Single Post
Old 09-16-19, 06:24 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I have used apps that track calories and it doesn't seem to help me. I know that makes no sense but I think I've figured out why. But, back to basics for a moment. I have used the on-line formulas to determine what my calorie intake should be to maintain 180 lbs. I am currently about 187lbs. It usually comes out to around 2500 cals. I mentioned this to my MD and she said, "Nope. For you, around 1800 calories." Turns out she is right. Here's the problem for me....once I set up a statistical standard, I get caught up in "Well I can eat 1800 cals." And, that's what I try to do. Of course my calorie count isn't always as accurate as you might think. I also start thinking I should eat according to the typical breakfast-lunch-dinner routine. So, the schedule becomes my guide. Lately, for reasons too lengthy to go into, I've gotten off schedules and stats. I no longer categorize meals as breakfast, lunch and dinner. I eat when I'm hungry. Maybe I have "breakfast" and maybe I don't. I also don't categorize foods by meal ie: breakfast food (think eggs). If it's 4 pm and I feel like having oatmeal, I do. I have also stopped equating the feeling of "not full" with "hungry." To the extent that I'm eating food I enjoy and not worrying about calories it's working in that I'm not gaining weight. I've stayed in the 186-188 lb range. What is perplexing to me is that I've cut alcohol by 75% in my diet and it doesn't seem to have had any affect on weight. At this point in life (age 73) I'm fit, weigh about what I weighed playing football in college and am pretty convinced that my body is not going down to 180 lb. So, no calorie counting and no obsessing over numbers on the scale. Just riding and paying attention to well being.