View Single Post
Old 10-28-20, 04:54 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Have Tiagra road brifters on a bike, new last year, about 1500 miles on it. Have been getting misshifts on RD wherein it downshifts and then upshifts as soon as I release lever. I'm told that's classic case of frayed cable inside shifter. I want to replace only the inner cable at this point.

First time with internally routed cables. It appears that my bike has cable housing all the way from brifters, into down tube, and exiting at BB. In that case, do I need to bother with pushing a guide tube over the inner before removing it, or can I just push the new inner through the existing cable housing just as I would on an externally routed bike.

The cable housing does run under the bar tape, which I recently replaced, so I'm not inclined to want to remove that, since I finally got it the way I like it after considerable effort.
If the outers exits on the BB, just pull or push it slightly and see if it moves on the other end. If it does, it's the same piece and you can replace the inner without the need of a guide.