Old 11-30-20, 10:08 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
This bike has almost nothing to do with a tour bike anyway. IMO. Good riddance.
The older ones were a bit better I think.
I agree. This doesn’t look at all like the type of touring bike someone serious about bike touring would like to invest in - short chainstays, the rear rack looks weak, the mudguards don’t offer much protection.

Unfortunately, with the pandemic, the demand for touring bikes will most likely remain low until at least 2022. Even companies like Surly are discontinuing their world touring models. Many parks and campgrounds are closed, hosts on Warmshowers or Couchsurf are not eager to host strangers, many countries have restrictions for foreign visitors. So, all in all, not great times for bike touring unless you just plan to do some credit card touring or rent a place in an interesting locale for some hub-and-spoke tours. But definitely no need for a proper touring bike to do any of this.

In the immediate future, those interested in heavy duty touring bikes may be forced to look at the very few new (some underperforming) models still available, secondary market or buy custom. From my own experience, I bought a super versatile 26”-wheeled custom bike from Rodriguez Cycles in Seattle back in 2012. Hands down, the best investment of my life! This bike has served me as a serious tourer, as a randonneur (completed the Paris-Brest-Paris on it), as a gravel tourer (San Juan Huts in Colorado/Utah) and it is my regular “road” bike. The other bike I have is a 29er hardtail MTB for the more gnarly trails and singletracks.
Likes For Chris Pringle: