View Single Post
Old 02-14-21, 08:27 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Thanks for the comments, though my real question was not so much about how to be successful flipping bikes, rather more what cb400bill was getting at: in my case I wasn't flipping anyway so the bike itself was essentially free, but replacing consumables (and being frugal about it) still put the minimal selling price above $100, no matter how crappy the original bike was. Even a better quality bike (I got a free Raleigh Record once and refurb'd it at my cost for a friend to use) would still need at least $100 in parts (using prices around here) but wouldn't sell for much more in good shape....Bill's numbers indicate a flipped bike that sells for less than $100-$150 is not going to happen, and doing the math more likely would have to sell for over $200. Around here you can still get plenty of decent bikes for that kind of money if you are looking for fairly low end. And iab is right on the money: I put roughly 5 hours of time into the subject bike (mostly dealing with super low end V-brakes and getting them to work reasonably well - who would have thought two pieces of metal that *look* similar to decent v-brakes could be so awful?); I had to replace a couple of spokes which in turn required the right tools and a lot of ooomph getting the freewheel loose.....then truing the wheels, and so on.....

I had fun and every time you do something mechanical you improve your skills and learn something - so I am not grumbling. But when I see bikes that are being flipped I rarely see them at the price range that would cover basic consumables let alone labour - I can only assume that few of them get proper attention before the sale!

Edit: and just to be clear - I wouldn't normally have touched that bike - but it was a favour for a friend and I did make it clear that the bike was not a quality unit!

Last edited by markk900; 02-14-21 at 08:30 AM.