Old 08-08-18, 12:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, I use a camera almost every ride. I've told family and friends if anything happens and I'm unconscious or dead, check the video. I ride rural areas a lot and frankly critters -- deer, skunks, possums, armadillos, etc. -- are just as much a hazard as negligent drivers. But we're a little less likely to be killed in a collision with most critters, although deer can curb stomp us and some dogs can be vicious around someone who's injured.

The one time I didn't use my camera was when I was hit by a car this spring. Fortunately there were plenty of witnesses and the driver sorta admitted fault. Still waiting on the settlement. Got medical bills piling up.

Mine is an inexpensive Ion Speed Pro, around $50-$60 on Amazon. Had it for two years as of July, running it on almost every ride. It does the job.

It's compact, cylindrical, tough and weatherproof when the rear cap is attached. Runs about 90 minutes per charge. With an external USB battery it can run indefinitely or until the media card fills, but that requires removing the weather sealed rear cap to access the various ports and controls. Not a problem in good weather.

I've even worn it on my helmet, and it's not too heavy. But neck pain from an old C2 vertebrae injury began nagging me this year so I mostly use the handlebar mount.

Most of my cycling friends who also use rear cameras swear by the Cycliq Fly 6. I'm not sure about the Fly 12 but it's probably very good too.