View Single Post
Old 08-08-18, 12:28 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
I prefer to invest my money in good quality bright lights and a good quality high-vis helmet that will help me not get hit in the first place.

I don't really see the point in a camera, if you are dead, doesn't do you much good.
I, too, run bright front/rear lights. Despite this, a guy brazenly passed me too close (missed my elbow by less than an inch), and gestured to me to get off the road.

Luckily, I run a Cycliq Fly12. I called the cops. I showed the Officer my footage which clearly depicted the license plate number, explained that the driver did not afford me three feet of passing clearance as required per state law. The Officer stated I explained the situation perfectly, that the driver resided locally, and that he was going to go visit the driver and give him a $120 reason to start caring about how close he passes cyclists. Perhaps this driver will choose to obey the law in the future. Thus, I feel that there is a point to running a camera.

To the OP: I have the older Fly12 & Fly6. I highly recommend the Fly12 -- good image quality, a very bright light, and a long run time. The older Fly6 has poor image quality and the light is so dim it's worthless as a light. I just didn't like the cluttered look of running the Fly6 with my preferred Bontrager Flare R rear light, so I now just run the light and leave the rear camera off. Once I come into funds, I'll likely upgrade to the newer Fly12 CE and Fly6 CE (the latter of which is supposed to be markedly brighter, though I haven't seen any reviews examining the quality of the rear light).