View Single Post
Old 08-25-20, 12:23 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Badbird2000
So, I bought my bike used last fall (2004ish Litespeed Tuscany). After 12 years of being off a bike, I have managed to put just over 1,000 miles on it since April. The bike came with Continental Gatorskins. I have been running them about 115 psi, front and rear. I don't know if they are just worn, but I have very little faith in the grip of these tires. If it's wet, forget it. Even dry, they seem to be all over the road. I am not sure if they are over-inflated, or worn, or just crappy to begin with. They are mounted on Rolf Prima wheels.

I totally get tires are subjective, just like tires are for cars and trucks. Just curious as to what is out there that is solid and dependable. I ride in east Tennessee, I do a bit of climbing with some speed coming down, 35-45 mph).
What do you have, and why do you like it?
What size tires are they? 23? 25? It would help to know that, as any recommended pressure should account for the tire size (and your size). As another poster suggested, maybe go for something wider (at least a 25mm width) and try reducing the pressure. I would start with a 10% reduction in tire pressure and see if that helps. When those Gatorskins wear out, go for a bigger tire and target <100 psi to start with; 95 psi is probably a good starting point. Try experimenting with different pressures (+/- 10% from wherever you start) to find what feels best.