View Single Post
Old 10-22-20, 06:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Welcome to bikeforums, @Het Volk. What does your name mean?

Speaking of fashion, I think the resurgence of single pivot side pull brakes was the result of fashion. We got center pull brakes which, while messy to set up, really worked better than side pull brakes. And we looked down our noses at bikes with side pull brakes, because mostly they came on lower end bikes. Then Campagnolo came out with side pull brakes, and they were fancy and expensive, and we wished we could afford them, so all the makers went back to side pulls for many bikes, and some of them got fancy (with finish etc). Some were pretty good, and some were not. I am blessed with large, strong hands, so they work for me, even most of the crappy ones. But they are not good for some people. The dual pivot solves most of the problems of both single pivots and center pulls. I took a long loaded tour with Weinmann side pulls in 1981. They were just about the worst choice, but I didn't know. There were some descents when I barely controlled the bike, and thank goodness for my hands. They equipped some touring bikes with brakes like those. What were they thinking? I can only say that fashion played too big a role.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.