Old 05-27-21, 02:27 AM
poiuyt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Upgrading the transmission of a 2020 dual sport 3

Hi,

I have a 2020 Dual Sport 3 and would like to upgrade it (some items are worn out). The ideal setup would be the one seen in the 2021 Giant Roam 1 ("Deore" 2x10 (46/30 front, 11/42 rear): it's not too far of the current spec, but still a significant upgrade. But I can't find matching parts in the Shimano offering. The current one is an Acera 2x9 (46/30 in the front, 11/36 in the rear). The issue I have is that Giant is not specific about the actual components they are using (I found on the net that the rear derailleur is a RD-M5120, but that's it).

Reproducing it would then require some matching of different product ranges and I'm a bit lost:
- Crankset: To have a 46/30, I'm limited to gravel products, which are road products. I was thinking to the Shimano GRX FC-RX600-10, but what about the bottom bracket? The current one is a BB-MT500 (threaded — which seems to not exist anywhere). Should I change it too?
- Crankset, bis: the GRX FC-RX600-10 has a chainline that is about 2mm smaller than the current one (Shimano FC-MT210-2), and the distance between the 30 chainring and the frame is only a few millimetres. Is there a risk that the GRX might be to close to the frame/tires? Or is it possible to have some spacers? Shimano states in their specs that this crankset offers enough clearance for 42mm tires, I'm using 47mm.
- Front derailleur: given it's a 2x, from what I understood, it would be ok to keep the current one, but not optimum. Otherwise, I could also go for a GRX, but it's not clear for me if it would be compatible with MTB shifters.
- The capacity of the M5120 (long cage) is not sufficient (41T vs 47T): is it Shimano being to prudent in their specs or Giant having access to a special version of the M5120?

Otherwise, the alternative I've seen are:
- Replace the rear derailleur/cassettes by Microshift Advent (they have 11/42 9-speed, and a matching clutch derailleur): that would be the least disruptive, I have small reserves though: I don't know if it would be as smooth to operate as a deore and it's on the heavy side, but reviews are very positive about it. Going 10-speed 11/42 would also have some logistic benefits: the rear wheels would be interchangeable between my bike and my wife's.
- Going 11 speeds and take an XT RD-M8000, that has the correct specs, but it still not solves the crankset issues, and that would require me to replace the wheels (I know technically I could just replace the hubs, but at this product range, labour would be more expensive than a new wheel), because the free hub is not the 11 speed one. It would be "expensive for a Dual Sport", but given I haven't found a bike as versatile as the Dual Sport, I'm not opposed to spending more.

Any comment/thought?

Thanks!