Old 03-17-20, 04:36 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
I work at a bike shop in Vancouver, BC.

Have been reading in trade press about situations around the USA - including mandated closures in the Bay Area, shops going to 'appointment-only' operations, etc.

Mutual aid of the sort that an impromptu path-side 'Atelier' embodies might be just the thing in areas where bike shops are not allowed by local authorities to operate due to this kind of mandated business closure. I think it's hard to argue that transportation by bicycle, for those capable, is among the very best possible transportation options from a 'social distancing' perspective...especially for anyone who does not own or cannot rely on a private motor vehicle. Such an obvious alternative to public transit for short-to-medium trip distances, and better than car-share, taxi, or whatever app-based ride-sharing the kids are using these days for minimizing close interpersonal proximity/contact.

We're staying open for now, albeit with a whole lot of disinfecting going on (among other measures to keep things as safe as possible and do our part to contain spread of the virus).

I think for a lot of folks, access to someplace that can make sure their bicycle remains operational and safe is pretty 'essential'...

Last edited by mikemowbz; 03-17-20 at 06:34 PM.
Likes For mikemowbz: