Old 05-19-20, 04:37 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
I recommend getting the max width you can fit and set them up tubeless if your rims will allow. Higher TPI counts are better than lower ones, but, in my limited understanding, are not as important in wider MTB tires than they are in road tires.

Beyond that, just read the blurbs for the tread that fits your use and budget. I heard on what was basically a "tire TED Talk" from representatives from WTB, Schwalbe, and Ultradynamico, that tread patterns are more of a marketing gimmick than anything else, that is, people tend to buy tires that look cool. They also said that tires tend to handle about how they look so, that's a good thing. Their words, not mine.

I have had several tires and I enjoy Panaracer products, they're made in Japan and very high quality. I am currently running Vee Tire Co T-Fattys and I do not enjoy them. They are quality tires and they have good wear but underwhelming performance. Other manufacturers make great tires as well, with Maxxis being maybe the king of the hill in the MTB game right now. Figure out what you want then choose the tire, don't target a specific brand.