View Single Post
Old 06-04-20, 01:21 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
That was excellent. At one point he says don't tell folks their bikes have to cost $10,000 and they have to shave their bodies and whatnot, but they'll get there like we all did. Yeah, bike cost can be like opening pandora's box, but things like shaving legs and arms and whatnot are still fairly niche as far as I'm concerned. I don't do it, never got any crap from anyone about it, and probably never will. Maybe I'm just not riding with the right people. Not really trying to criticize the video because it was excellent. His message is pretty simple: getting a lot more people involved in cycling is a good thing, and scaring people off by criticizing or making fun that they're not doing something that old schoolers have decided is the "right way" to do cycling is a bad idea.

One great example, actually, is wearing traditional cycling garb. Some folks new to cycling want to wear baggy t-shirts and shorts and whatnot, and may show up to a group ride so attired. Well, they're not wrong, though in time they'll probably figure out, like most of us have, that there are real practical benefits to wearing the kind of cycling attire that we wear. Maybe it's just a mental block in some folks because they've made fun of MAMILs for so long and now they fear they'll become one. If they stick with it they'll probably get over that hang-up. If they're just puttering around at low speeds, though, maybe they'll never wear the tight cycling garb because at low speeds the advantages are far less significant.
Likes For SethAZ: