View Single Post
Old 07-18-20, 10:09 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2018), Giant Roam 3 (2021), Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 (2022)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I rode my mountain bike into the ground. Probably 9000 miles on it, mostly on the road, but after I got a road bike in 2012 it switched back to purely mountain biking. When I say I rode it into the ground I mean bottom bracket had to be replaced, I broke a wheel, broke a chain and only then learned about chain stretch. Discovered that riding a highly worn chain had eroded my cassette teeth and one of the three chainrings to the point where with the new chain they were skipping, so had to replace those. The front shock is crap now and really should be replaced. Now the shifters aren't working right and I don't know if they can be economically repaired, so I may just upgrade them to nicer new ones. That MTB was a cheap one, a hardtail that cost something like $600 new, so none of this shocks me.
I had more or less the same thing happen to my old hardtail.

I thought it may have been 'normal' wear and tear given the mileage, but I guess at around 95kg/210lbs weight may have also played a part - I wasn't aware of the term "Clydesdale" before I joined this forum. I sometimes forget that bikes aren't always designed for heavy loads, and have had issues with BBs, wheels and spokes with bikes I've had in the past.

But again, not sure if it's normal wear and tear, weight - or both.

I'd like to consider myself on the taller rather than bigger side, but my weight has been creeping up ever since I developed bursitis in my right glute - which has been a literal pain in the arse. And ironically, I got it through running, when I was in the best shape of my life. It's kind of settled down now, but 'flares up' if I try any sort of rigorous physical activity, Riding is OK- as long as its not uphill!