Old 01-07-16, 04:56 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
We have a "Where Do We Live?" thread, which we can continue posting to as well ...
http://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...o-we-live.html
But for this thread, I'm thinking more in terms of weather, environmental conditions, road surfaces, etc. to describe your local area.
What is it like where you are?
Does it affect your ability to be car-free or car-light?
Does it have an effect on your cycling?
To answer your question simply: Varied. In the summer (as you and Rowan discovered), summers are quite hot, with temps easily getting up into the mid, to high 30s (95F and up) and in the winter can drop as low as -20, though the average is around -5 to -15C. (-4F and the average is 28f to 15F). Winds can be quite strong and are mostly out of the west (most of the time), south, or east. My hometown is mostly located in a valley bottom and that makes getting to some places a challenge because they are "up the hill". Transit is available and all busses have bike racks (though some drivers don't like cyclists and, on very rare occasions, will take off before a cyclist can retrieve their bike.) Street surfaces vary from half decent, to deteriorated. Pathways, where they exist, are in a similar condition and may, or may not be paved.

For me, it's perfectly feasible to be vehicle light. Most of the places I need to go, C.O. beach included, are in cycling range, though in summer, it's best to do your running around in the morning before it gets too hot. Even where I work now (no longer doing traffic control, AKA, flagging), people commute by bike, BMX included.