SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Out of curiosity, how do you think it compares to the Bendix red band?
I believe the old Bendix hubs are satisfactory. I'm in the minority though, as most people believe they are the best.

I'm enjoying the bike, but braking power leaves much to be desired.
It's possible that you have a junior model. Is it 28 spoke? The junior models employ only ONE brake shoe. Have you serviced the hub?

Is there a good technical reason why I might expect the CB-E110 to behave differently?
IMO yes. Modern metallurgy and better tolerances. I believe the modern shoe and hub materials are better suited to one another. The machining on the inside of the Shimano hub shell is actually impressive. Also, the internals don't just fit, they fit well. It's a crudely simple piece of engineering, but it's not crudely specd or manufactured. It's 2017 and the improvements over 50+ years can easily be seen with the naked eye.

The both seem to have the same basic operating principle.
Yes, the same. The Shimano is just a bit simpler by virtue of fewer parts, and I prefer Shimanos clutch engagement design.

The Bendix hubs are pricey and sourcing 50 year old parts aint easy. The Shimanos are readily available at very low prices in different drillings for a variety if spoke sizes and replacement parts are easy to find and cheap. With CB-E110 having enough power to easily lock the wheel coupled with excellent modulation characteristics, I see no logical reason to run a red band, or blue or yellow. Unless one was going for a period correct restoration build.