View Single Post
Old 02-23-18, 04:28 PM
lindafranc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hman0217
If you're asking me, I think "danger", for most situations, might be a little extreme. I looked up those Trek Verve 2016 tires and they seem to be Bontrager H5s, correct? Those are similar in profile to some specialized tires I had before I got my GT365s. Perhaps we were similarly motivated in wanting more tread with a higher profile.

While I prefer the GT365s for city riding, I don't think the H5s would be "dangerous" by any means. They might not be as good in loose dirt or other non-asphalt conditions, but you're looking at slippage of the tires moreso than catastrophic wipe-outs. How aggressively are you riding?

The one thing you WOULD get with the original 35s is less rolling resistance, meaning they'll likely be faster on pavement.

I recently swapped out my GT365s with Clement MS0 Xplorer 38s and I'm madly in love. There you get great grip on all surfaces (except the elusive mud) but with very little rolling resistance on the roads. (because I know you were begging to be confused with more options ;p)

EDIT: Forgot to address that option...the GT365s in 35 mm would be less rolling resistance than the 38s due to less contact surface and higher tread profile than the H5s. But I think you'd find the 38s will give you more traction on the slippery stuff, at least going straight. It's a trade-off one way or another. Honestly, it's trial-and-error. It's a function of your riding, your frame, your terrain and your tires, at the very least.
The original tires were the H5. I slipped on these numerous times on different surfaces (wet pavement, gravel driveway and dry pavement when braking hard) that put me in danger of falling. Now with the 38 mm GT 365 I feel very stable and the grip is great. However, as noted, when I turn sharply they seem to get in the way. I just hope that if I ever have to turn quickly that I don't fall. Also as noted. in another post Trek said the maximum on the Verve that I have is 38 mm. I wonder if 41 mm is in fact something I should not be riding on.