View Single Post
Old 01-19-19, 07:33 PM
wrandyr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Firedog91902
In preparation for changing to Lithium battery, I pulled the wiring harness off the frame and trace all the connections (see diagram below). Notice that battery data and power lines of battery A and B are all in parallel. Since the batteries were never used at the same time, battery B must have had the same (or similar) built in, control circuits as the NiMH front hub battery. The the display controls switching from A to B using the serial data bus. It's likely the bike could be used with only the battery B and the front hub removed. IF that is true, anyone with Lithium Battery B would have the control circuits in a more compact form. Of course the battery B's ID much match the display's. Does anyone know how to change the ID in either the display or front hub circuits? There is also the safety issue of using the Battery B's BMS to charge. It would be prudent to switch the battery to a trusted BMS for charging as you do in your design.
As far as I know, E+ never got around to marketing an auxiliary battery. If you wanted a battery B, they sold you another hub, which would have had its own BMS boards. I think MetalMan had his set up this way for a while.

The hub batteries are not serialized to the controller. Only the motor is. You can swap the batteries around however you like.