Old 09-10-19, 10:43 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
I finished the Bach Invention. My lesson on Monday was a tour de force. I am supposed to get a one hour lesson but she kept it going for 2 hours. I was drained - think TSS of 400. I got home and fell asleep. We are moving on to the next lesson in Czerny and another Bach piece. She is thinking one of the Goldberg Variations which I like all of them and maybe the E Major Fugue IX.

What is interesting is the next lesson in Czerny looks like something Lizst would have written. And Czerny was Lizst's piano teacher. In essence Bach and Czerny developed the music and teaching construct that fueled all to follow. Bach is so intellectual, mathematical and structured based. The music is complex and requires focus and repeated listening to fully appreciate the genius.

Here is the E major Fugue performed by Glenn Gould and Gould discusses the Fugue and its construct before playing it. On the surface, it sounds easy but there are four independent voices and it is actually very difficult to execute as Gould does. He is a total genius. Gould is talking to Bruno while he is playing. This is muscle memory to the nth degree.

\

Below are first four Goldberg Variations 32 in all. In 1955, Columbia Records signed Gould to a contract and he recorded the Goldberg Variations which became the best selling album of the time. In 1981 he re-recorded them. I love the opening Aria. Each variation is a state of mind - interesting.