Old 01-23-20, 06:57 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This is why every state needs a 'four-foot rule," and it needs to be more widely publicized. Some motorists don't realize that cyclists get blown by the wind, have to dodge debris on the shoulder, etc - and they need a little breathing room.

We have a four-foot rule here in PA, though I am sure most motorists don't know it exists. Still, when a driver cruises behind me, waiting until the other lane is clear in order to pass me with a large and safe margin, I always give a little "thank you" wave as they drive past.

Sorry for yourjppe . That really is a bummer.
The rule we need enforced (it actually already exists) is that passing a vehicle - of which a bicycle is one - must be done safely which almost always means going completely into the opposing lane. If you don't edge ride - which in an of itself is highly dangerous because it encourages close passes - then cars must pass safely. As an aside, having a video camera proves it because your bike wheel position in the lane and the lane strip provide excellent references for distance.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
There were witnesses and eventually the truth came out. The point being, unless there ARE witnesses, the driver will ALWAYS claim the cyclist swerved into his/her path, and unless the right questions get asked, lazy reporting and police work will always blame the dead guy for bringing it on himself.
Exactly right.

I ride with a video camera on my bike (Cycliq cameras) and I've used them multiple times to get the police to go after motorists who pass too closely and/or who pass improperly. It takes a bit to get them jacked up to do it, but they get around to it. For them, it's an unusual set of circumstances but an insistent citizen who has proof usually gets them to go after the drivers. In the process, both the officer and the driver usually wind up learning something.

After just retiring and looking at estate planning, we're getting ready to redo our will. I'm contemplating putting in there that if my death is the result of a motor vehicle hitting me while on my bicycle, that my heirs should sue for wrongful death.

My condolences to @jppe - that is a tragedy and I can empathize about how tough it is to lose a friend in general but certainly in such a senseless way.