mactheknife68
Always find my way home

Bikes: Madone, 8500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OneTinSloth
i install several hundred chains per month at the shop where i work, guy. i know how to do it properly, note that i said it is SOMETIMES necessary, and not OMFG I NEED TO USE IT ALL THE TIME LIFESAVER!!11! reading comprehension is not for everyone, i guess.

it doesn't if you have extra long chainstays (18inches), a road triple, and a long cage MTB RD for your 11-32 cassette on your touring bike, because chains only come stock with so many links, and i am sure as hell not going to add links to my 9-speed chains. also, some full suspension bicycle designs make it difficult to derail the chain from the small ring for installation, due to pivot and linkage locations, and bikes with chain retention devices often make it impossible to remove the chain without breaking it, so yes, the tool is necessary SOMETIMES. broaden your scope of experience outside of your own bikes and maybe you'd understand that. i'd rather spend an extra 10 seconds using the tool, than have to spend 10 minutes explaining to a customer why their $4,000 "all mountain" bike has scratches all over the main pivot. i seldom use that tool, but occasionally it comes in handy.
Touchy, touchy, touche'... And the name's not "guy", and yer not the only one with the wealth of knowledge based on expiriences youve had. I work with the same designs you do and have never been so careless as to be in the position to have to explain damage I'm careful enuf to avoid. It's been my personal expirience having wrenched for 10 years that it is an unnecc. step in what is a simple task. Having also dealt with the above situations (on my customer's bikes ), I respectfully submit that it is NEVER necc., based on technique. Is it useful? I think maybe. Is it necc.? I think not. I probly should have been more clear in my original post on this side-topic to the OP's original question, but I was in a hurry and dida driveby reply. Talk to the kids you work with like that but Ive been around awhile, too. I'll go back to my whisky now... I'll share