View Single Post
Old 02-08-18, 12:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Lots of entries about the Panaracer Gravelking SK here so I'll just add a few data points.

Yesterday I mounted a 700x38C pair tubeless onto American Classic 29" RACE wheels with 24 mm inside width.

They went on easier than the 35 mm version and seated quickly using a compressor regulated to 50 PSI. Measured width was almost exactly 38 mm when mounting but after sitting for a day they have swelled to almost 41 mm. They were only ridden around the block to distribute sealant so a proper ride is needed but I don't expect anything different from what others have noted.

I would however, like to correct what I wrote in post 57 above.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Performance on loose gravel: front washed out once in a hairpin turn while descending through loose gravel. I thought I was going down but it grabbed as suddenly as it let go and I snapped upright. I think the side knobs grabbed. There seems to be a no-man's land between the center knobs and the side knobs where there is little or no traction and the tire either has to be leaned hard or kept upright. Did not inspire confidence in aggressive turns.
This was rider technique, not the fault of the tire. I was on the front brake too late into the turn causing the front to wash out. It is a habit which I had carried over from years of late braking driving cars and riding bicycles on pavement. Panaracer Gravelking SK are much better than I gave them credit for.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-08-18 at 12:29 PM.