View Single Post
Old 01-12-19, 07:48 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Nasty Broken Shoulder!

Boy, we’ve had a bad run at the house. My son had a ladder come out from under him at work in June and dislocated his shoulder. I crashed my bike in August and broke my hip. My wife tripped and fell hiking last Sunday and suffered a dislocated and severely fractured humerus. She underwent surgery Monday to do the repairs.

At least I’m recovered well enough from the hip replacement to now play caregiver to her. She’s doing well post surgery but the surgeon has her arm in a swing with very limited movement of the arm, making sure it doesn’t dislocate while recovering. I’m learning to do a few things she normally did plus help with some basic care. I cut my first pineapple and made my first quiche this morning!!

It’s probably going to be a while until I can take the time to do those 60-70 mile rides again. At least I got one ride in on the new bike! In fact I was out riding it last Sunday when my wife called me to let me know she’d fallen and I suggested she go to the ER. I was 25+ miles from the house when she called so I rode a lot harder than I’d planned to racing back home.

At least my son was with her and got her back to the car. They hiked down the trail to a road about 1/4 mile away. Then He flagged down a driver and got a ride back to the car that was about 5 miles away.

It sounds like it’s a pretty long recovery for a shoulder injury?? We’re hoping the blood flow will reestablish in the ball to avoid a replacement. We’ll probably know for sure in 4-5 months. My wife has been traveling to my daughters house 2 hours away to keep one of our grands for 3 days a week. Her mom went into the hospital over New Years with heart issues but was back home. My wife was playing caretaker for her Mom along with her sister. The purpose of the hike was for some mental release from her responsibilities. Oh well.....