Old 04-07-19, 03:38 PM
riverdrifter 

Bikes: Jamis Satellite Sport, Raleigh Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 28 Posts
Looking for a trailer pulling rig.

Despite starting threads in MTB and Road Bikes, I think this is where I need to be hanging out.

I've been a recreational/family rider forever. I did car-free for 1 year, but it wasn't really ideal for my location.

In junior high I bought a new Schwinn World Sport, charcoal metallic, from my LBS. I saved my paper route money for that bike.

I rode it through high school and college. Sometime in the 90s I bought a Gary Fisher Marlin. That became my daily commuter for many years. Like the Schwinn, it was still in great shape when I sold it to upgrade to a Trek 6500. I equipped it with a rack and it became my year round daily commuter, pizza getter, etc. When our baby came I bought a Nashbar trailer and pulled that. I made it work, but was pretty unhappy with it.

Life started changing a lot, I got a job with long hours, 30 miles away. I just kind of quit riding. The trailer I gave to a guy going on cross country tour, I hope it worked out for him. The Trek sat in a corner in the shed and the tires rotted, untouched for 6 years. It's hard to believe after 30 years of nearly daily rides, I haven't even been on a bike in 6 years. I gave the Trek away last spring.

Things changed with my job, I'm local again, with more free time, and I have another baby (2 year old). It's time to get back on a bike.

This time I'm buying a Burly Solo. That leaves me about $400 to get a bike. A hybrid, commuter, flat bar type is probably what I need.

I do live now in a really remote, rural area. My only LBS is Trek, 60 miles away. So I'm definitely considering the FX1. $379 right now.

Online options I considered are Fuji Absolute 1.9, Raleigh Cadent 1 or 2.

Any suggestions? I'd sure appreciate any help. I have not been to ride the FX1 yet. I'm 5'9", 155 lbs, and not nearly as fit as I was 6 years ago.

Thanks!

Last edited by riverdrifter; 04-07-19 at 04:10 PM.