canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Assuming good bike fit...

I've mostly switched from relying on gloves for comfort to using bar grips and wrap to do the job -- and usually better.

On the hybrid with Nitto albatross bars I use chunky rubber grips with palm shelf supports, like a cheap version of Ergon grips, minus the locking collar. Friction fit holds fine. I was tempted to warp the bar instead of using grips, but it's so comfortable now I don't want to mess it up.

I still might wrap the albatross bar beyond the grip. I change hand positions often while riding that bike, between just ahead of the brakes, to the forward arched part of the bar to get more aero. Moving hand positions a lot helps reduce discomfort. The bare metal bar isn't bad in good weather, but I don't ride in any single position for longer than a few minutes at a time.

On my road bikes with drops I use various thick, resilient foam wraps -- Arundel and other brands. Recently I've been trying Arundel Synth Gecko wraps, which they say are 100% silicone. Very grippy and comfy, but kinda gawky and ugly.

With those, and some improvements in overall fitness (I've been in PT on and off for a year, which helps), and bike fit, I don't really need gloves at all any more. I wear thin full gloves for chilly weather, but they have little or no padding. And recently I got a pair of Giro Zero CS glove-lets with zero padding. It's just for abrasion resistance, which I may not even need. I have a nice set of Garneau gloves with ergonomically designed pads, but I don't really need them now and sometimes the pads actually bother me.

Anyway, if you haven't done so already, try better grips or wrap on the bars. That made the most difference for me.
Likes For canklecat: