Old 08-26-20, 05:20 PM
tjc4golf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Good luck, I've been waiting for that for years with my wife. That being said, we have fun riding together. We just ride our own ride.
She's already made progress. She's faster now than when we started riding. I just pull over if I lose sight of her and let her catch up.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Cross reference on sizes turns out ok. The 91 catalog shows the SM400 & 800 in small and it's clearly not that one. Cannondale sizes, at least in this era, go to the tube, not the seat collar, which explains the difference between your measurement and the frame size. I was forgetting this was a pre-suspension bike so the stack will be a lot lower. That (and the seat height, in case no one else has mentioned it) explains the reaching-down look.

It's not a slam dunk but 80s-2000s mountain bike sizes usually go small to XL with frame sizes in 2in increments. The line between M and L is around the size of the average American man (5ft9). So at 5ft6 the medium/18 should be the right starting point. There might be more sizes if it's a high sales model or they expect teenagers (XS, 2XL, "ML"). A women's version might or might not be listed a size off (mens M = women's L) and might have an extra small size not available in the men's version.

Thanks for hearing me and responding about the attitude. Just trying to smooth your path... even though it's a mountain bike.
Yes, after I rediscovered my notes on the serial number and the 18" frame size I realized my 51cm (about 20 inches) measurement was to the top of the seat tube. I think (can't confirm - away from the bike at the moment) Cannondale measures (or at least used to measure) to the junction of the seat tube, top tube, and rear triangle.

And thanks for your help smoothing the path! Reminding me to double check Vintage Cannondale was helpful.

Originally Posted by himespau
Swept back bars? I built a bike with the Velo Orange Crazy bars for my wife. She never was a cyclist and building a new bike didn't make her one. She does find it more comfortable to ride with the kids than her old too small BSO from Target though even if I doubt I'll ever get her to go on a long ride with me somewhere.
Current bars to have some minor sweep. I've rotated them so they're half back / half up but it's a minor sweep. With the short stem I think her hands are potentially already back too far. Perhaps in lieu of replacing the original, long stem with a short stem I could have used some like the Crazy Bars but now I'm thinking I need to move her hands up as opposed to further back.

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Some of these statement about letting the girl pick her own bike are spot on.

When I was shopping for mine recently, my wife was totally balking on the $1300 price even though I told her that that is what a decent entry point is these days. Of course, buying one for me meant buying her a bike as well. After I more or less decided on the Sirrus 4.0 (despite her complaints about spending so much money), I showed her a picture of the bike in Lilac that was available locally. Her immediate response was, "I love it - buy it." I did. She does. We are still fine tuning the fit to alleviate some discomfort issues, and upgrading some parts though. We now ride together at least 2 or 3 days per week.
Glad you didn't get too much grief for your purchase and that you found something you can do with the wife. Great couples activity.

Part of me agrees on letting her pick her bike. Part of me disagrees.

Admittedly, the lilac Sirrus does look great but should paint color be the deciding feature?

These are city bikes that sometimes get locked outside. For that use I like beat up (cosmetically, not mechanically) bikes. Increases character. Decreases theft risk.

I plastidiped my city bike frame and fork black to hide the logos. Now the plastidip is getting scuffed and worn in places and the more beat up it looks the more I like it.

Originally Posted by kingston
The only way she'll ever keep up with you is on the back of a tandem. Otherwise, just let her get whatever bike she wants, ride at what ever speed she wants, wherever she wants to go, for however long she wants, with as many stops as she wants. Anything else will just end in frustration. You can either trust me on this or learn the hard way like I did.
Don't forget about ebikes! Lol. I don't expect her to ever keep up. I just pull over if I lose sight of her and let her catch up. She's already made progress. She's faster now than when we started riding. I just hope that trend continues.
​​​​​​
Likes For tjc4golf: