Old 09-13-20, 09:06 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc4golf
TLDR:
  • My girlfriend complains her bike "hurts my neck" and claims she needs a new "women's" bike.
  • I think the frame fits her and if anything we just need to tweak things like stem, bars, seatpost, etc. Also maybe work on her fitness.
  • Pics of her on the bike are at bottom.
  • Her measurements, the bike's measurements, and output measurements from online fit calculators can be found in this spreadsheet (look at both tabs).
  • Please let me know if you have any suggestions as far as what I can do to make her rides pain free.

The details...

My sister moved overseas and couldn't take her bike with her so my girlfriend got it. Bike was an entry level Giant hybrid with a sticker that identified it as a "women's" bike.

Saw a old Cannondale SM500 on Craigslist. Looked like good bones for an upgrade and I like old 26" MTB to gravel conversions (though I kept flat bars on this one) so I bought it.

We had both bikes for a week or two. Made sure she rode the new bike 2x before selling the old one. She told me she liked the new bike better - especially how the wider tires on the 26" smoothed out bumps.

So I sold the Giant and upgraded the Cannondale. 1x10 drivetrain with Deore shifter and SLX clutch derailleur. Carbon bars, saddle, and seatpost. Nice Schwalbe rubber, etc.

Below are some pics of her riding the Cannondale after I fixed it up (sorry they're huge - couldn't find a thumbnail option). I tried to get a couple with her leg extended and a couple with her pedals parallel.

Now she complains it "hurts my neck" and the "old one never made my neck hurt". She thinks the new bike hurts because it's not a "women's bike". I tell her there's no such thing as a women's bike (outside of marketing dept) and if the geometry works then the geometry works.

As far as I can tell the geometry works. I made a spreadsheet with (1) her measurements, (2) the Cannondale measurements, and (3) the outputs of a bunch of online bike fit calculators.

Here's a link to the spreadsheet (note: don't miss the second tab). Each website gives slightly different recommendations but overall I'd say they validate the fact that the frame fits her. Seat tube and top tube measurements are pretty spot on.

So I'm thinking any fit issues don't require a new bike - just need to dial in the cockpit (stem, handlebars, seatpost setback, etc).

Unfortunately the online fit calculators seem to focus mostly on getting the frame right. To the extent that they suggest more detailed fits it's for a road bike or a mountain bike. With a flat bar hybrid / gravel bike I'm not sure trying to copy them makes sense.

Questions:
  • Can anyone recommend specific handlebar reach and handlebar stack targets based on her measurements?
  • If not specific measurements then some directional advice? I'm thinking she might like 3" or 5" riser bars (bars are currently a few inches below the saddle) but that's just a hunch. I'd rather approach this scientifically than just guessing, buying parts, installing parts, and checking. That's expensive and time consuming.
  • Could this be a form / fitness issue? It's been awhile but when I first started cycling I didn't use my core to hold me up so I had a lot of weight on my handlebars which bothered my back and neck. I think she might have too much weight in her hands.
Ok. First, I’d say I got nowhere with fitting or adjusting for my wife until my attitude became, what can I do to make her happy on her bicycle?

Then I got her a picture or two of Terry bicycles, which are designed by women for women, and some Trek WSGs. This got her aware. We found her a used 1997 Terry road bike 24 speeds, and we won the bidding on it. Then I said you’ll need me to set the saddle. Measured her PBH, set the saddle to the calculated spot, bought her a wider Specialized road saddle, and we did the cutback based on her balance.

This simple fitting stuff works (check out the site on Fitting referenced by Carbonfiberboy). She is now happy on her bike!

I’m pretty sure her saddle needs to come down, several inches relative to your first pictures. With a straight leg like that, her foot should be level with her heel on the pedal and is flat shoes or sneakers. Thes you can move the saddle fore or back to find the point where she can lift up gently without any added hand pressure , and even lift her hands a little. After that you should look at different bar heights and types.

As a road bike that frame isn’t right for her. But as a casual and a light cruiser I think it can be fit to her pretty well. That super tall stem in the later pics does not look like a good fit for her.

Last edited by Road Fan; 09-13-20 at 09:20 PM.
Likes For Road Fan: