View Single Post
Old 02-16-21, 12:20 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I spent hours Sunday and yesterday, poring over Ebay listings, looking for a nice matched wheelset for the Cannondale. I also took the RX100 hub apart, the one that felt 'gritty', or 'crunchy'. The fact that I could to this without cone wrenches suggests part of the problem was that the non-drive side cone wasn't properly locked in. So I looked at a bunch of videos and pages on servicing Shimano hubs, and the solution occurred to me - rebuild the RX100 front hub with new bearings and grease (the cones look good), and pair it with the aesthetically-similar Ultegra rear wheel. They're both bright hub/anodized rim, both straight-gauge spokes, and the slight difference in rim profile between the Mavic 195 front and the MA3 rear is not so obvious at a distance. And it means I can have a working bike sooner, and cheaper.

I also realized I'd NEVER rebuilt any of the hubs on my bikes, even the 1995 Dura Ace hubs on the Ritchey, which still spin astonishingly smoothly. And I realized I should probably rebuild any old wheels I bought off Ebay anyhow. SO I bought cone wrenches, ball bearings, and grease! Wish me luck.
One more tip. Don't rebuild ball bearing hubs or head sets over cement or other hard floor.

Last edited by Jack Tone; 02-16-21 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For Jack Tone: