cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
How in the world did you manage to go through 2 component groups in just 20k miles? that's only 10k per group! I've got over 160k miles on just one component group and it still works fine. And 3 pairs of wheels in 20k? I average 30k on just one wheel set and that's when I use to ride a lot in mountains.
Road racing, commute, CX, off-road riding.. it's a titanium frame, not a sissy road-only bike.

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Brand name CF forks made in china have a much higher quality control and engineering, the generics have below average engineering and very little if any quality control. In addition to all of that brand name have warranties backed up by western laws, generics claim they have warranties but rarely back them up and they don't have to comply to western laws. 5 times the cost? I'll gladly pay that much more rather than risk my limb(s) or life to some fork that could have potential problems.
And how many brand name CF fork or non-brand name CF forks from China have you ridden personally?
How many broken Chinese CF forks have you seen or experienced?
Personally, working in bike shops over two decades; I've seen more brand name CF fork fail than Chinese made CF forks failure... ratio of 2:1.
I've had LOOK, TREK, Colnago CF forks fail on me during rides... I've been using a $69 Chinese CF fork I bought from eBay since 2008.. still riding it.

Last edited by cat0020; 12-08-16 at 10:11 AM.