View Single Post
Old 10-19-19, 09:49 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
About 100 grams per rim or more and 80-120 grams per tire/ tube, rim strip vs tire/ glue.
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Mavic specs a weight of 435g for the clincher Open Pro, 360g for the tubular Open Pro, so I get a difference of 75g each in this case. Lighter tubular rims would not be hard to find, at that...

Comparing Challenge's Paris-Roubaix variants, 285g for the clincher version, 330g for tubular. Figuring that a latex tube would be about 75g, you are still coming out 30g ahead with the tubular. The tire I wish I could go back in time and try was the Clement Campionato del Mondo, which was fat but only 290g altogether. So you pretty much get the tube for free compared to the Challenge Paris-Roubaix clincher!
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Del Mondos never weighed as little as catalog spec. Always over 300 and 330 could happen. Just weighed a very well worn Challenge P-R. Missing tread weight probably much more than weight of glue residue. 346grams. Weighed a well worn clincher P-R and got 310grams.

Mavic rims always always weigh just a lot more than spec. Not unusual to see weights more than 100 above spec. Weighing tires is a waste of time, nothing you can do about it. Rims, well, you can at least avoid Mavic rims over 500g. Or just avoid Mavic. Who owns the company now? Are they going to continue? A 360 gram rim will just plain feel light, a Mavic will not.
Originally Posted by iab
You won't find a lighter rim than a tubular. Just a fact of the closed-wall structure, no matter the brand.
Conservatively , a half pound or more? Good to know. I get the design lending to weight savings. I thank all contributors for offering knowledge.

I may do a winter wheel build project. It may involve tubulars. This thread is very helpful.

Ride what you like.