View Single Post
Old 10-20-19, 05:21 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59
I run clinchers at 110 psi. Do you recommend tubs at a lower pressure than a clincher, say 100 or even less?
I have use numerous tubs with one piece valves but shall seek out the two piece ones for the good reasons you have pointed out.
As you seem to be asking me specifically....

I can't recommend a pressure. To make a first guess would need to know how much you and bike weigh and which tire you have. And how wide it is if it is not one where I'm real sure what current production is like.

Best and almost only place to find a pressure chart that means anything is the Berto pressure chart. Google that. Everyone has an opinion about that chart. There is plenty of information for how the data was compiled and why he took the readings he did. Basically if you want to argue with the chart you are arguing with the engineers who designed your tires.

So first step is measure your tires with a caliper. Size printed on sidewall is unlikely to mean much. Always remember your pressure gauge is not that accurate. Approximations are more than good enough. And seat of pants is a good enough reason to depart from the chart.

I can tell you that the chart has never directed me to an unworkable value. I can tell you many pros are riding at less pressure than given in chart. Some things I don't know, such as how pros can sprint on so little air. In principle I can understand why CX tires are inflated so low but cannot myself ride a CX bike with 20psi. For myself do not wish to ever again to inflate so high as 100psi. If there were some classic 80s/90s bike that for some reason had my name on it imaginably it would be skinnies and that much pressure, in most circumstances would avoid that.
Likes For 63rickert: