View Single Post
Old 10-21-19, 02:50 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That's the thing -- I'm sympathetic to both Berto's and Brandt's viewpoints, so I tend to use and recommend something in between. Even if you accurately measure a 40/60 or 35/65 weight distribution on your bike, that leaves the front pretty low if you ever have to brake hard while descending a steep road.

It's likely that my road bikes with me and my gear aren't exactly 45/55, but it works so well on my bikes, I can't think of a better arrangement. My hands and wrists are plenty comfortable, and I have yet to get a pinch flat anywhere.

But also to your point, the Berto stuff probably isn't appropriate for tubulars, since they don't have the same constraints.
As often happens, we are not too far from the same page. I have measured my F/R wheel loading for a few bikes. Good news: it's not too difficult, and it is nearly always between 60/40 and 55/45. Bad news (well, not really, I guess!): it varies either due my bad measurement technique (tol'ja it was not too difficult!), my weight is dynamic, or I don't sit the bike consistently.

Bottom line, I conclude it doesn't matter very much. I tend to use 45/55, because it gives a harder front tire for better braking control. Back in college days I made the tires equal, and I liked that, too. And when I've tried it with 60/40, it also doesn't seem much different.

Getting my saddle setback to a comfy point is a LOT more important!
Likes For Road Fan: