View Single Post
Old 06-30-19, 04:57 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts

Psychedelic Turtle 300K gets its name from the Turtle Creek Bridge built in 1869 as well as the ride start in Woodstock, IL.

It was a very hot and humid 300K yesterday in northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin. I've had no real opportunity to acclimate to the heat so was apprehensive as to how it would go. I brought my neck wrap (tube of fabric) so that I could fill it with ice at controls. That saved the day for me along with making sure I stayed hydrated. I used both Skratch hydration mix and Tailwind. Both products sit well with my stomach. I supplemented with GF pretzels, Indian crunchy snacks, GF crackers, some Clif blocks, Skratch energy chews and an almond butter sandwich. The only thing I bought at controls besides water was some packets of ham (Carl Buddig) and 2 cokes. I had no stomach issues and my energy levels were good all day.

Unlike my previous 300K at the end of May, I was riding with friends the entire time as well as many miles getting to know some other riders. Two of my friends dropped at mile 85 due to the heat. But my other friend stayed with me through the end. I really appreciated that in the hours after sunset. That was the best night riding I've had yet as the temps were cooler, the skies were clear, and there wasn't any crazy twisting descents in the dark. We saw fireworks, fireflies, and even bats swooping around getting the abundant bugs! I finished in 17:22 as compared to my previous 17:40 time. Much less climbing on this route, but my previous 300K was in temps that I prefer - 50s at the start and low 70s during the afternoon. Both rides had calm winds all day and no rain.

Bonus was meeting up with 2 of my other friends at a control that both the 300K and the 600K route shared. They are still out there and did have to deal with a line of storms that came through this afternoon. Lots of high winds, lightening, and rain. Hope everyone is safe.