View Single Post
Old 02-18-13, 03:23 AM
morphix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those interested, I posted last year about my plans to convert my Mezzo D9 to electric. This has not gone has smoothly or quickly as I had hoped, and I've faced the similar challenges to what Brompton owners face who convert their Bromptons due to the 349mm size wheel rim.

Well the build is almost complete now after a couple of set backs, I've managed to get a Q100 350W motor into the rear dropouts by squeezing them apart 5mm (motor is restricted to 250W for legal reasons) and it looks pretty discrete but has added significant weight to the bike at just under 3kg. The bike REALLY moves and the motor is really powerfull..going full speed I had trouble steering and controlling the bike due to the small wheels! I'm normally used to riding a 26" e-bike.

I'm considering replacing the motor with a much smaller 200W one and giving up some power and speed for a lighter carry weight as ultra-portability is what I'm after. The Mezzo is such a joy to ride anyway unpowered that I think it only needs a bit of assistance for hills really, and this might be safer and bring better handling to the bike.

Anyway I'm just in the process of upgrading the tyres to Marathons with puncture resistance and finishing the wiring, and then I'll post up some pics and vids for you guys.

I think this may be the first ever eMezzo! I've certainly never seen any others converted to electric. Hopefully my experience and knowledge gained from it will help others who fancy converting their Mezzo's to electric.