View Single Post
Old 10-12-19, 10:09 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,447 Times in 1,558 Posts
Originally Posted by DC Bike Blogger
-Separate accidents (falling off a balcony and slipping on some ice) have resulted in each of my ankles having to be surgically reconstructed and medical hardware implanted. The back and forth motion of pedaling a bike still works just fine. But the side to side and pivoting functions of my ankles do not work anymore. So I can ride a bike for 100 kilometers with no physical problems. But walking a just a few kilometers can be painful and cause my ankles to become swollen.
Slacker! I managed to get the same damage in a single fall, with similar results. Fortunately, my walking has not suffered as badly; it's standing still that I find painful. Cycling is okay and even pushing the bike on hills is doable, but still embarrassing. I hope you continue to heal and get to enjoy what you can do.

I've seen a couple of episodes of a PBS program series called Pilgrimage that follows a group of hikers on their trip. Worth a watch to get a feel for the terrain and the vibe.
Likes For thumpism: