fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Those gloves should work. How cold does it get in Missouri? FWIW, I like thinner gloves when temps permit, and sometimes go with a set of cross-country ski gloves. I also run pogies -- see photo below -- on a couple of my bikes. Yesterday I was out in mid-30s temps that were above freezing, and the Moose Mitts in the photo were all that I needed.

The gloves I ended up getting were a little overkill IMHO. The portion of Missouri I live in rarely dips below 10 during the day in the winter. It's mostly windchill, however, that will get you. For instance, the windchill this weekend is supposed to be in the negatives.

Originally Posted by parkbrav
If you don't like the weather around here, wait 5 minutes. hah. Sunday will snow, freezing-rain, then quick freeze around 5F Sunday night into Monday morning.

The Weather people are saying that the Polar Vortex will bifurcate this winter, causing weather. BOLO!
Sounds like you're describing Missouri... if you don't like the weather, just wait. This weekend is supposed to get really cold. Last weekend we got snow (my car got snowed in) and this weekend some snow but really cold temperatures.

Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Hi - I lived with it for 40 years, because no medical professional ever asked the right questions, saw me during an event, or if I asked about breathing problems , they just chalked it up to allergies. For me, hot and humid air actually has caused more symptoms than cold air. I finally got fed up enough to research what possible conditions were consistent with my symptoms, researched pulmonologists by reputation, patient reviews, and education, found one that sounded promising, and made an appointment. The nice thing about that was that they did the basic spirometry testing right there immediately before the appointment, and the results showed I was only able to expell about 43% of lung volume untreated - but it went to over 95% after albuterol (or whatever the drug was they used on me - I think they actually use a differen drug during testing). Blood O2 with moderate exertion was 84 before and 99 after the drug was administered - I remember the numbers because it made a big impression on me, seeing empirical and quantifiable data literally on paper. I walked out of there with prescriptions for albuterol, Singulair, and Symbicort - and after about 10 days/2 weeks I began to realize just what “normal” respiration felt like - without chest pain, shortness of breath, dizzyness, nausea.

I rarely use albuterol - only if I’m exposed to strong irritant like smoke or chemical fumes, but I take Singulair and Symbicort every day, and add in pseudoephedrine many days - that combination gives me about 95% relief. I see the pulmonologist about 3 times a year, and repeat the spirometry test yearly. He’s tinkered with the doses a few times, but keeps me on the same 2 drugs - as he says, why change it if it’s working.

Just putting this out there to encourage people who experience symptoms to get it checked out - there are effective treatments. Personally, I’ve never experienced any side effects from the meds, but some people do, so it’s not perfect and ymmv, as they say.
I should get it checked out. I'm pretty far out of shape - I'm 19 years old, 5'11" and I weigh about 320 pounds. I've been thinking about joining the discussions on the "Clydesdales" forum here. With that being said, I should probably be careful - heart disease is a common issue on both sides of my family. My father has heart failure, both of my maternal grandparents passed away from heart-related issues (one aneurysm, the other had his heart rupture) and both of my paternal grandparents also had heart issues (one had to have bypasses, the other had a pacemaker.)

I don't have a problem riding in hot/humid weather. The problem I've experienced is mainly cold/dry weather. I took my bike out for a spin a few weeks ago when it was in the lower 50s, and even then I started getting that feeling in my lung, with the feeling I was going to start into a lengthy coughing spell afterwards. Sometimes I've also got headaches from it, IIRC.