View Single Post
Old 07-06-19, 04:25 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 401 Times in 277 Posts
I googled about Florida and see that not only is it legal to ride on sidewalks, there is no requirement that you do so on the right side of the road or even the right side of the sidewalk. Basically, Florida has pedestrian rules for bicycles. That's a mess--I feel for you Floridian bicyclists, I wouldn't want to deal with such a legal free-for-all in a state infamous for bad drivers.
Look in section 316 under the Florida statutes and read for bicycles. Same as cars, meaning you don't ride on the wrong side of the road unless you have a death wish.

I'll not correct you, but give anecdotal support for where I live and ride the sidewalks.
Riding a bicycle in the road and handling intersections properly is no more dangerous than doing the same in a car. People on bicycles at intersections in the wrong lane position create more danger for them selves. When they take that fear of cars to the extremes they go on the sidewalk and some of them endanger pedestrians. When pedaling down the sidewalk and crossing a road is where it is most dangerous. They are out of the motorists view and a large portion of deaths occur here. There are videos I have seen from store front cameras on YouTube that show some of the mayhem.