View Single Post
Old 02-11-20, 10:09 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Spacy, I've ridden a lot on 42/32/22 8 speed and 44/32/22 9 speed
Your concerns about a 30t mid ring being a bit low is valid for unloaded and lightly loaded riding, BUT it really depends on how much you'll be carrying and if you'll be in hilly terrain. I've spent months on my Troll with the 44/32/22 and 11-34, but with four panniers and extra stuff, so a rather heavy bike at times. I am really really happy with this setup and its 16.7 to 103 gear inches with 2inch tires. I personally wouldnt like a lower top gear than what I have.

triples give you such an advantage for all kinds of riding, no matter the trend, they are simply more versatile and give you a lower low and a higher high than a double, with better chain line to boot as you wont be cross chaining, ANDyou also wont be having big jumps between the chainrings AND you can even run a tighter cassette than with a double, which is nice, but still getting a good range of gears.

now to the one downside--yes a 32, and especially a 30t midring will be a bit annoying if you ride the bike a lot unloaded or lightly loaded. Sure you'll use the large ring more, but in the end, a 48/36/26 can give you a great setup, but you seem to make it clear that you wouldnt use the 48t ---if you dont use it with your cross bike unloaded, you'll not use it often with a loaded or heavy Troll....

as someone else said, I'm not familiar with what triples are out there in the smaller range, but I get the impression from your original question that you havent toured yet, not with a bunch of stuff on the bike, so its hard to realize how much we need lower gearing with a much heavier total bike+load weight.

perhaps you could look into if you could use the 40/30/22 and change the 30 to a 34 or something?
Are 44/32/22 still available in 10 speed?

I guess in the end we can give suggestions from lots of our experience, but without knowing what kind of riding you'll be doing (total bike weight wise) and what triple options you have, its hard to say....
get back with more details as it would help.

what shifters are you going to use, trigger shifters?
I set my wifes troll up with Deore 10 spd trigger shifters and as all previous deore shifters like this, they are well priced and work very well. An excellent price/performance/longevity balance.