Old 08-14-20, 03:21 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Okay, that's not fair. I just looked at the weather there. Did I get the right info? It hasn't been even 80°F this week! And Palm Springs and other parts of southern California 100°F.
What's the reason for that? I've never been to the coastal part of S. CA. Do you get cool air rolling down the hills or is it just a cool current in the water off shore?
That's another thing contributing to my lack of fitness: living here for 25+ years has decidedly made me soft. If it makes you feel any better it was 94 degrees with humidity on the coast on my ride today. Happily I live up on a hill with unimpeded sea breezes, so it's under 80 here with the windows open.

Originally Posted by jimincalif
Coastal Calif is blessed by the cool Pacific, current flows south along the coast from the Gulf of Alaska, so water temp barely hits 70 here in Aug. So we get this wonderful thing called the marine layer. The coast is frequently overcast in the morning, it burns off late morning and the sea breeze kicks in from the interior heating up, causing air to rise pulling cool air off the ocean. I live in OC and we haven't used our AC much at all this summer. Lows of about 60, highs often 80 or less. Fantastic riding weather.
As to the OP, time off the bike and 15 lbs can certainly do this, in addition to illness. Sounds like you're recovered, maybe you did have corona, testing seems to be somewhat inaccurate. I haven't been really sick since I had H1N1 in 2009 before I got into riding, so I don't have much experience recovering from this sort of thing.
I was born in North Dakota and spent 7 years stationed in some of the ugliest places the Army had to offer (Fort Hood, TX) So I chuckle at people who've lived here their whole lives who whine when it gets over 90. The only downside to living here is the best part of many vacations is coming back home. 8D