View Single Post
Old 09-16-19, 04:50 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
This one is a mystery to me. Every Raleigh I've seen has shaped head tube lugs. This does have the Raleigh style rod brake linkage piece that pivots on both sides oe f the down tube. Most other manufacturers used a single arm on one side. It looks slightly different than the linkage piece on my Raleigh, but that might just be the angle of the photo. That flip top oil port on the bottom bracket was used on Raleighs from the mid 50s to around 1960.
"Chief", the brake linkage is identical to yours. I found a 1930 catalogue with the Superbe pictured having the "plain jane" headtube lugs. Very similar in way, but also quite different given the "X" frame and other features. Mine has no pump "pins", looks like the pump uses clamp-on "pins" in the picture, and rear reflector mounted high on fender, whereas mine is low. Fenders are similar, gearcase is similar, bolt-on stays. Obviously not the bike, but it is the only bike I've seen with the same lugs. I'll see if I can find a newer version without the "X" frame design, but encompassing the other features.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1930-Raleigh-chrome-plating.jpg (255.8 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by HPL; 09-17-19 at 02:35 AM.