View Single Post
Old 09-19-18, 09:42 PM
woahdae

Bikes: VO Polyvalent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, my family is currently "car free." One point, we meet a lot of other car free people, and we all feel very fortunate to be able to live this way, nobody is judging anybody for having cars. Cars are super useful. Well, actually, we judge our mountaineer and long distance cycler of a neighbor (and friend) who drives his SUV two blocks to the coffee shop because there's a drizzle in the forecast, but we mock him openly, so that makes it OK yeah?

Originally Posted by prj71
I have 4 car rental agencies nearby. For this trip I leave at 5am on Saturday and return home sometime late afternoon the following Sunday. That is outside of their normal business hours of operation.
I mostly jumped on here to note that our local rental agency would let you pick up the keys at closing on Friday, and would consider it returned on time as long as the keys were waiting in the office drop box Monday morning at 9am. Although we have paid for an extra day just to make logistics easier, still cheaper than owning a car.

Also, at least where we live, there are more cars than driving-age adults at almost every house in the neighborhood. If your neighbors are crunchy like ours, they feel guilty about this fact, and will gladly lend you their extra vehicle so it gets used. We fill up the tank, clean the windows, and bring them back something as a gift, except one neighbor who wants us to rent it for cash which is fine too.