View Single Post
Old 02-13-20, 10:53 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I think it comes down to what you think you will value more: durability or supple low rolling resistance.

The Mondial would be a great long distance bulletproof tire. I have the Marathons and they seem to last and last with next to zero flats (one pinch flat that was my fault). They have an ok tread for gravel and the Mondial looks even better in that regard. That durability comes at a rolling resistance cost though.

The Gravel kings, or Compass tires are more supple, and probably roll better, but they have no where near the durability of the Schwalbe's, regardless of the hype. They will wear quicker and be more susceptible to flats. It's just the nature of the beast.

Ultimately you have to decide which is more important. If I were going on a long trip, or didn't want to buy tires more often, I'd choose from the Schwalbe line. If I were doing day trips, short tours or didn't mind the greater repair/replacement cycle, I might go the other way.

Everyone has an opinion but that's basically the decision fork that it comes down to.