bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by folder fanatic
I agree as I own at present European made bikes only (Brompton & Raleigh Twenty-older UK made). I did pay a huge premium up front, especially for the Brompton. But the thing to consider is how the bike performed/aged during the time I had them. As for major problems, there has not been any for the now 5 years that I had the Brompton except for the chain jumping off the track just one time (and fixed on the road easily by my mechanically challenged self with no special tools or help). Ditto for the Raleigh Twenty. My former Chinese made bikes were ok for the first year or so (except for replacing defective parts on 2 different bikes from different years at purchase that were not spotted at the factory)-it fell on the dealer's shoulders to fix something that was not their fault). Then came the bad news that I could not replace the proprietary parts as they were no longer made (short production runs for only 1 year or so). So....now I only buy quality products that can be repaired, replaced, and proven reliable over the years. I will gladly pay far more for quality control and pride of workmanship over far east "bargain" products.

I think most people have forgotten these basic ideas and expectations since the shops are being flooded with cheap throwaway products.
I agree with most of what you say here, esp. the part about being willing to pay more up front for quality that will last, but I disagree with your last statement, the one about the shops being flooded with cheap throwaway products. If you try to buy a bike in a department store then, yes, you will pay a lower price for a very crappy bike that will be inoperable within six months. On the other hand, every real bike shop I've been to recently is full of bicycles that are generally of high quality, and usually staffed by people who care about doing good work. I think that if you do a little research, go to a reputable bike shop, tell the people there exactly what your needs are, and are willing to drop $800-$1300, you will almost certainly leave with a decent bike that will last for many years. If you're willing to search around, you can get an equally good used bike for much, much less.